Developing novel diagnostics to determine AMR status in real-time
A/Prof David Whiley
Prof Catriona Bradshaw
Dr Elisa Mokany
Theme 1 …
… aims to develop novel second generation laboratory-based, resistance guided therapy tests for Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Mycoplasma genitalium. This Theme will also develop processes to help facilitate the development of new resistance guided therapy tests on point-of-care platforms, ultimately enabling near-patient testing and inform antibiotic choices to optimise patient management.
The remit of this Theme is to:
- Identify new biomarkers of antimicrobial resistance through a combination of bacterial culture, genomics, antimicrobial resistance testing, and analysis of treatment outcomes
- Investigate the mechanistic bases of novel antimicrobial resistance
- Develop and optimise next generation diagnostic tests for antimicrobial resistance, including the simultaneous detection of multiple markers.
- Establish pre-clinical studies to accelerate the development of new diagnostic tests.
- Expand strategies to other sexually transmitted infections prone to antimicrobial resistance.